SSE SPOTLIGHT on Capital FM South Wales, Jan – Mar 2017
Back to homepage
- The following rules (“Specific Rules”) together with the general competition terms and conditions (which can be found at
capitalfm.com/terms-conditions (the “Competition Terms and Conditions”) of Communicorp UK (as defined in the Competition Terms and Conditions) apply to ‘[SPOTLIGHT with SSE on Capital FM South Wales]’ radio competition (the “Competition") which will run from 25th Jan 2017 to 17th Mar 2017 on Capital FM South Wales (the “Radio Station”).
- Anyone who enters the Competition (an “Entrant”) will be deemed to have read and accepted the Specific Rules and the Competition Terms and Conditions and will be bound by them.
Artist Entry Rules
Details of the Competition:
- To enter the Competition an Entrant must
Go online to CapitalFM.com/southwales and register their details.
Entrants should upload 1 x photograph of artist/performer(s); a biography of artist(s); artist/performers all social media handles; 1 x audio file of artist performing an original single song. Option to include up to 2 x online video links of performance(s) e.g. Youtube.
You confirm the grant by you to the Radio Station and to Communicorp UK of a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free licence to publish online and broadcast (on any broadcast platform) any aspect of your participation in this competition (including, but not limited to, the submitted photo, biographical information, audio and video(s), any other material submitted or recorded for the competition and, for the winner, all performances undertaken as part of this competition). The Radio Station and Communicorp UK shall be entitled to use any audio or video material submitted for, or recorded in the course of, this competition in any and all media at no cost to the Radio Station or Communicorp UK and you warrant that such use shall not infringe on the rights of any third party. Such use is not intended to limit your rights to claim ownership of your creative work, nor your rights to perform, edit or exploit your work in any way. Publication or broadcast of any material will be appropriately and accurately attributed to the composer and/or performer of the material.
Online entry will open at 06:00 on 25th Jan and close at 16:00 on 22nd Feb 2017
- A Capital FM panel headed by Heather Kane, Head of Programming will score the entries on voice, music, arrangement, writing, entertainment value, creativity, and overall performance. Each entry will be allocated points on each criteria ranging from 1 for the lowest and 10 as the highest possible score. The ten highest scoring artists (in the event of a tie, Heather Kane will have the final decision) will then be put to a public Twitter vote using the hashtag #SSESpotlight and hashtag #the name of the artist/band as spelled, formatted and defined on the website. Voting rules as per number 7 below. The judges’ decision will be final. Voting scores will not be published, feedback will not be provided to unsuccessful entrants and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The ten artists being put to the public Twitter vote will be contacted by Capital FM between 24th – 27th February.
- The three most popular artist/bands voted for in the Twitter vote will then be put forward to an industry panel of judges, and will be judged by them on the same criteria as above (No.4), the highest scoring artist will become the winner. The judges’ decision will be final. Voting scores will not be published, feedback will not be provided to unsuccessful entrants and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Once the Twitter voting has closed, the three finalists will be contacted by telephone by a Capital representative by 6pm 13th March.
- Judging of the three most voted for artists/band will take place on 14th & 15th of March 2017. The Judges’ decision is final and in the event of a tie, the head judge will make the final decision.
- Three finalists will be chosen from the ten artists/bands selected by the Capital FM Panel by public votes via the social media site Twitter using #SSESpotlight followed by a hashtag (#) and the name of the artist as spelled, formatted and defined on the website. The three artists/bands with the highest number of votes will become finalists.
- The only way to vote is via Twitter.
- Only voting from only Twitter accounts which are public will be counted.
- Only 1 vote per Twitter account will be counted. Retweets will not be counted.
- Entrants may undertake their own promotional activity in order to solicit or encourage public votes, but we will not allow behaviour that, in our sole judgement, we consider constitutes unfair manipulation or distortion of the vote. Such behaviour will include, but is not limited to, purchasing of votes, either directly or via third-party agents; or the creation or use, whether manually or via automated systems, of large numbers of new or 'fake' Twitter accounts solely for the purpose of voting in this competition. Where we believe unfair manipulation of the vote has taken place, whether or not conducted by the entrant, we may, at our sole discretion, choose to reduce the number of eligible votes for the relevant act or disqualify them from the competition altogether.
- Voting will begin at 10:00 on 27th Feb and close at 24:00 on 12th March 2017.
- The three finalists will be announced on-air on the 14th March 2017 and be informed by a telephone call on the 13th of March 2017.
- You confirm the grant by you to the Radio Station and to Communicorp UK of a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free licence to publish online and broadcast (on any broadcast platform) any aspect of your participation in this competition (including, but not limited to, the submitted photo, biographical information, audio and video(s), any other material submitted or recorded for the competition and, for the winner, all performances undertaken as part of this competition). The Radio Station and Communicorp UK shall be entitled to use any audio or video material submitted for, or recorded in the course of, this competition in any and all media at no cost to the Radio Station or Communicorp UK and you warrant that such use shall not infringe on the rights of any third party. Such use is not intended to limit your rights to claim ownership of your creative work, nor your rights to perform, edit or exploit your work in any way. Publication or broadcast of any material will be appropriately and accurately attributed to the composer and/or performer of the material.
- Entrants must be age 16 or over and must reside or have their main place of work or are studying within the defined Service Area of Capital FM South Wales.
A footprint of the this area can be found by visiting: www.communicorpuk.com - this includes the following postal codes CF101 – 105; CF10; CF116-119; CF140-147; CF149; CF157-CF159; CF235-245; CF3 0 – 6; CF311-15; CF355-56; CF371-375; CF381-382; CF390; CF398-399; CF453-454; CF465- 466: CF470; CF478-479; CF481-484; CF5 1 -CF56; CF611-612; CF623-629; CF631-634; CF641-645; CF717; CF728-729; CF818-819; CF826-828; CF831-834, CF838; CF915; CF951; CF991; NP100; NP108; NP109; NP113 - 117; NP120 -124; NP151 -152; NP165 -167; NP181 -183; NP190; NP194; NP197 – 199; NP201 -NP207;NP253 – 255; NP263 – 265; NP4 0; NP 4 5- NP4 9; NP441 -448; NP7 0; NP7 5 -NP7 9.
The Radio Station’s decision on eligibility is final. Entrants may ask to confirm their eligibility before submitting their entry.
- Entrants must never have been signed to a recording label nor major music management company. Solos, Duet/Trios and Bands are all acceptable for entry and they will compete against each other within the specified judging criteria.
- Although original artist music is welcome please be aware that only popular music genres relevant and similar to the Capital brand mainstream playlist will be considered for entry to this competition. For details go to http://www.capitalfm.com/on-air/playlist/
Songs should also be suitable for broadcast, with no or minimal editing, during daytime on a UK radio station. Songs should therefore avoid offensive language, overt political or religious messages, commercial references, or should not contain any potentially defamatory references to a living or recently deceased person, or organisations.
- Entrants must be available on 14th March 2017 to perform at the showcase. If under 18, must be accompanied by a parent/guardian to any event associated with this competition. No additional guests will be given entry to the event
- Entrants must be available for a sound check & rehearsals for the above event between 8am and 6pm. Final timings will be confirmed by event organiser. A PA will be provided. The winning act is responsible for all other requirements to be able to perform.
- Entrants must be available to perform at least a 2 track acoustic / stripped back set. No additional guests will be given entry to the event.
- Entrants will be required to participate in relevant publicity, PR and marketing opportunities as deemed appropriate by Capital FM’s Head of Programming in relation to the SSE Spotlight Competition for a period of up to 12 months after winning date.
- Entry is restricted to one entry per artist; duplicate entries will be excluded from the Competition.
- Winning Artist Prize:
Starter Pack from The Famous Company
- Writing and production of a track with one of their esteemed producers (Writing credits include MNEK, Duke Dumont, A*M*E) Generally their team work on a track by track basis. Allocating 2 separate sessions of 8 hours to write and develop the music, to bring the track to industry demo standard. The external mix and master will then add the finishing touches.
- Industry standard mix and master
- Release and distribution of the finished single to all of the major online stores and streaming platforms - iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify, Google play etc.
- Location photoshoot to include industry retouched images. An outside location that fits the genre including a photographer with a stylist to assist. If there is a cost attributed to the hire of the venue or location, the Famous Company would cover these up to the value of £150.
- Branding & graphic design to coincide with the release. The Famous company graphic design team will put together a complete launch pack based on the location photography. So, bespoke graphics designed to fit all of the major social media platforms, an A6 flyer design and a single cover.
- 3 months A&R consultancy. This would consist of three separate meetings with one of their consultants, over the course of 3 months, offering tailored advice and guidance for the winner on themselves as an artist and how best to promote themselves. These meetings will also be to plan and develop the creative services above.
- Public Vote/Twitter Prize
- Wireless Sound Bar Smart Sound system
- £100 iTunes voucher
- Entrants must be age 16 or over and be a UK resident.
- A winner will be randomly selected from those who participated in the hashtag voting mechanism and that person will win the Wireless Sound Bar Smart Sound system and £100 iTunes voucher.
- This will be dispatched within 30 days of being informed as winner.
- The winner will have 28 days to claim their prize from the date on which Capital FM has made first contact.
- Communicorp UK reserves the right to substitute the prize with another prize at its absolute discretion.